There really is an empty nester syndrome. You are emotional, depressed, confused and asking yourself “What now?” The feeling you have when your child has left the nest is hard to describe. Like when you try to describe child birth to someone who has never had a child. No one can prepare you for that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you come home to a childless house. Yes, I know some women are so happy and are ready to celebrate the moment the door closes behind their kid. But again, I compare it to childbirth, some women just go to the bathroom and oops they delivered a baby. I know there are exceptions to the norm. So, I am talking to women, like me, who need assistance in this trying time. I have spoken with several women who are all going through this and have gotten a few great tips, that I would like to share with you.
- Wear lingerie – Ok, this sounded strange to me so I asked her to elaborate for me. She simply said that when her kid was home she always had to be covered up and now that the house is empty she can wear lingerie around the house. Oh, makes sense I said. I was so excited to try this; however, it didn’t go over well in my house. My husband just couldn’t get the concept of me just wearing lingerie, so try this one at your own risk.
- Go back to school – Now we have time to concentrate on what we really want to do. If it is photography, interior designing or anything your heart desires you can go back to school for it. Going back to school is easier than ever, you can take classes online and do it from anywhere and at your leisure.
- Travel – Now that we don’t have to drive anyone to school, dance, volleyball or work we can travel and see the world. Get out the map and note where you would like to explore. Make a wish list and once you got it completed sit down with your honey and see how you guys can make it happen.
- Date – No married women, I am not saying cheat on your man! I am saying date him again, get to know each other again without the kids. Court each other, bond, rekindle your love. Single women, now is the time in your life that you can get out and meet new people and have that vital, healthy adult life without having to see those side eyes when you get home.
- Enjoy the silence –Focus on you. Enjoy the peace and quiet in your home to reconnect with yourself. Sit back, take it in and clear your mind of all those thoughts that were centered around your kids and their activities. Once you have cleared your mind, focus on you. Really take a good look at your life and discover the real you that has been hidden since you had kids. I bet you, she is someone you will want to get to know.
Let’s keep in mind, this is what we have been working for from the moment we held them in our arms for the first time. We have been preparing them to spread their wings and fly from the moment we dropped them off on the first day of Kindergarten. Now they can use what we have given them and fly out of the nest, it is our time to celebrate a job well done. Enjoy this time in your life, we have worked hard to get here.